Browse by Region
Informal Daily Summary from the ASP10: Monday, 19 December 2011
Informal Daily Summary from the ASP10: Monday, 19 December 2011
19 Dec 2011
The tenth session of the Assembly of States Parties (ASP) to the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) continued today in New York, USA.
This message includes a short summary of developments at the ASP (I) as well as related documents and news coverage (II).
The various papers produced by Coalition teams as well as individual members recommendations to the ASP are available on the Coalitions website at: http://coalitionfortheicc.org/?mod=asp10
Official ASP documents and journals can be found on the ICC-ASP website at: http://www.icc-cpi.int/Menus/ASP/Sessions/Documentation/10th+Session/Tenth+session+of+the+Assembly+of+States+Parties.htm
We also suggest you to follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/_CICC and Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/CoalitionfortheInternationalCriminalCourt where timely ASP updates are posted.
Pictures of the event can be viewed on the Coalitions Flickr account at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coalitionforicc/
I. CICC ASP10 INFORMAL SUMMARY: MONDAY19 DECEMBER 2011
A. PLENARY SESSION
On the sixth day of this ASP, the plenary session began with the election of six members of the ASPs Committee on Budget and Finance (CBF)a subsidiary expert body set up to help the ASP with the budget. Elected today were: Elena SOPKOVA (Slovakia), Hugh ADSETT (Canada), Samuel P.O. ITAM (Sierra Leone), Masatoshi SUGIURA (Japan), Fawzi Gharaibei (Jordan), Mónica SNCHEZ IZQUIERDO (Ecuador), bringing to an end the elections at this tenth ASP. To view all results of the 2011 ICC elections, see: http://www.coalitionfortheicc.org/?mod=elections2011
Informal consultations on the Omnibus Resolution, "Strengthening the International Criminal Court and the Assembly of States Parties", took place in the morning and evening sessions, and discussions were ongoing at the time of writing.
The Working Group on the budget held several closed meetings during the course of the day.
Recommendations from the Coalitions budget and finance team can be found at: http://coalitionfortheicc.org/documents/CICC_Budget_and_Finance_Team_Paper_ASP10.pdf
The Report of the Committee on Budget and Finance on the work of its seventeenth session can be found at: http://icc-cpi.int/iccdocs/asp_docs/ASP10/ICC-ASP-10-15-ENG.pdf
B. SIDE EVENTS
Romania and the Secretariat of the Assembly of States Parties organized an event entitled "Plan of Action: universality of the Rome Statute and implementing legislation: developments and resources. Speakers included: ICC President Judge Sang-Hyun Song, Akbar Khan, Director of the Legal and Constitutional Affairs Division of the Commonwealth Secretariat, Eden Charles, Legal Adviser, Permanent Mission of Trinidad and Tobago to the United Nations, Anne-Marie La Rosa, Legal Adviser, International Committee of the Red Cross, and David Donat Cattin, Senior Director, International Law and Human Rights Programme, Parliamentarians for Global Action. The panel was moderated by Ion Galea, Director General for Legal Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania. Speakers discussed initiatives to encourage universality and implementation of the Rome Statute as well as possible improvements in the future, amongst others. Civil society representatives and states delegates were in attendance, some of whom made interventions.
The Permanent Mission of Canada hosted a Justice Rapid Response Group of Participants meeting. The incoming Director of the JRR Group, Mr. Andras Vamos-Goldman, and H.E. Ambassador Mirjam Blaak (Uganda), the incoming Chair of the JRR, provided a report of the work undertaken by the JRR in 2011 and the program of work for the JRR in the coming years. Following the presentations, a question and answer session took place, with interventions from states and civil society representatives. For more information on Justice Rapid Response visit: http://www.justicerapidresponse.org/
II. RELATED DOCUMENTS AND NEWS COVERAGE
1. CICC recommendations, papers and statements: http://coalitionfortheicc.org/?mod=asp10
2. ASP documents and journals: http://www.icc-cpi.int/Menus/ASP/Sessions/Documentation/10th+Session/Tenth+session+of+the+Assembly+of+States+Parties.htm
3. Assembly of States Parties to the Rome Statute elects six judges, ICC-ASP Press Release, 19 December 2011, http://www.icc-cpi.int/NR/exeres/A7E22D39-C7C1-4C2C-9FE2-20D496A62ED6.htm
4. First Week of Assembly of States Parties Concludes With the Completion of Election of Six ICC Judges, AMICC, 16 December 2011, http://amicc.blogspot.com/2011/12/first-week-of-assembly-of-states.html
5. Unusual Episode on the Third Day of Judicial Elections at ICC Assembly of States Parties, AMICC, 15 December 2011, http://amicc.blogspot.com/2011/12/unusual-episode-on-third-day-of.html
6. States Elect New ICC Leadership, The Tripoli Times, 18 December 2011, http://tripolipost.com/articledetail.asp?c=1&i=7517
7. Ban pledges to support newly elected ICC prosecutor, UN News Centre, 16 December 2011, http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=40764&Cr=criminal+court&Cr1
8. Foreign Office Minister welcomes election of British judge to the International Criminal Court, UK Foreign and Commonwealth Office, 19 December 2011, http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/news/latest-news/?view=News&id=707470282
9. Elected Judge of International Criminal Court, Leadership, 18 December 2011, http://www.leadership.ng/nga/articles/10866/2011/12/18/nigerian_elected_judge_international_criminal_court.html
10. CHILE EBOE-OSUJI EMERGES ICC JUDGE, Channels TV, 18 December 2011, http://www.channelstv.com/global/news_details.php?nid=30683&cat=Local
11. Nigerian elected judge of International Criminal Court, Next, 17 December 2011, http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5749595-146/nigerian_elected_judge_of_international_criminal.csp
12. Carmona elected ICC judge, Sunday Stabroek, 17 December 2011, http://www.stabroeknews.com/2011/news/regional/12/17/carmona-elected-icc-judge/
13. ICCs Bensouda pledges to push Kenyan cases, Kevin Kelley, Daily Nation, 13 December 2011, http://www.nation.co.ke/News/politics/-/1064/1288592/-/8dggto/-/
14. ICC requests budget increase for 2012‎, Hank Flynn, Press TV, 17 December 2011, http://www.presstv.ir/detail/216123.html (AUDIO)
15. ICC budget cuts halt probes into mass rapes, Radio Netherlands Worldwide, 19 December 2011, http://www.rnw.nl/english/bulletin/icc-budget-cuts-halt-probes-mass-rapes